Saturday, February 27, 2010

For some reason

I'm excited by data... I just love to play with data, and I want to build a generic system to handle lots and lots of data.

I've built big systems using MySQL, and I generally find MySQL to be very good (I am looking forward to drizzle). However, RDBMS tend to get cumbersome and start to become annoying after time. There are five things I need out of a data store from a development stance.
  1. Point-wise access: key-value pair
  2. Index-And access: select * from table where f0=v AND .... AND fN=v
  3. Transactions: Lock Row, munge data, Unlock Row
  4. Index-And aggregation
  5. Asynchronous replication and synchronization to another system
#1-#4 solve 95% of web-based persistence needs. The remaining 5% requires something special, and I've typically solve it with #5. This can be a giant pain in the ass.

I've taken various stabs over the years at trying to solve the problem, and basically they all kind of suck for various reasons. Now, I'm taking a different approach and starting a new open source project called: Nemo

Basically, Nemo is yet another key value pair system. More details are coming.

Saturday, February 20, 2010


Well, JsReduce is providing a JavaScript way of defining MySQL Aggregate UDFs.

It is pretty cool.

Check out some examples.

Friday, February 12, 2010

after some effort

I got JsMap working on real data and it works just awesome.

clone it today from github: mysql_udfs


Well, I'm this guy. I live somewhere in the U.S. of A. I came to this country hoping that my brilliance would be rewarded.

Has it? Kinda.

I don't like my job.

I don't make enough money.

I can't speak my mind.

Instead, I rant here anonymously. Now, I completely understand that this is my own failure and my perception of my job is my fault. Lesson is: be wary of what you sign. In my land, I was a king of education and a brilliant innovator. My greed led me to America and into business; greed is my downfall. In this new land, I'm just a cog in a machine. I'm a 10x programmer getting 1x compensation. Since I can't win, my solution is to work closer to 1.5x and leave the other 8.5x to the open source world.

I am being careful as to what I say so as to not give clues to who I am. Fortunately, the Internet is a big place and I just need to bite my tongue enough and neither mention names, products, or technologies.

Sadly, I can't share my thoughts or code with my immediate company friends since they talk to each other and chatter spreads. So, I'm alone in this venture.